published: August 2017
image credit : INQUEST
Over the last 8+ years 4WardEverUK has compiled one of the largest single online listings of the annual United Families & Friends Campaign protests that take place in London.
The United Families & Friends Campaign is a coalition of families and friends of those that have died in the custody of police and prison officers as well as those who are killed in secure psychiatric hospitals.
The network includes the families of: Leon Patterson (died in police custody in 1992), Roger Sylvester (died after being restrained by police in 1999), Rocky Bennett (died in psychiatric custody in 1998), Harry Stanley (shot dead by police officers in 1999) and Sarah Campbell (died in Styal prison in 2003) and many others.
The UFFC demands that:
- Prison deaths be subject to a system of properly funded investigation that is completely independent of the Prison Service;
- Officers involved in custody deaths be suspended until investigations are completed;
- Prosecutions should automatically follow ‘unlawful killing’ verdicts;
- Police forces be made accountable to the communities they serve;
- Legal Aid and full disclosure of information is available to the relatives of victims;
- Officers responsible for deaths should face criminal charges, even if retired.